Tuesday, May 19

Safe in Nigeria

UP-TO-THE-MINUTE NEWS FLASH: Well, it looks like this cowardly toad won't be squatting in Benin City by herself anymore. Friends of David will be thrilled to hear that due to an exceptional rise in militancy in Port Harcourt, as of right this moment, he's decided not to go after all. The rebel action in the Delta is intensifying even beyond even reasonable hopes of foreigner safety, and our only contact there has just begged us not to come.

So, definitely a disappointment - he was so looking forward to it - but I know not to expect much sympathy from those of his friends and family reading this. Truth be told, I have few regrets about it either. I had been fully supporting him in this venture until a few days ago, when we formally discussed how I should deal with his disappearance, when to contact the embassy, and whether or not a huge media fuss would help recover him, and the gory details forced me to imagine what that would really be like to know I had encouraged him to waltz into danger. What I would say to his family, what I would tell his friends; he has openly granted me veto-power over any aspect of the trip I'm not okay with - how would I ever explain not using it for Port Harcourt? I always like to support my friends in their adventures, no matter how off-the-wall, but I had been on the point of rescinding my support for the venture. So, we will be continuing Thursday from Benin City on to the area north of Lagos, puttering around a bit before finishing in Lagos mid-next week for our flight to Europe. Thank you again to all those who continue to keep us in their thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Thank God! I am so relieved that common sense and reason won out over David's thrill-seeking urges. What a relief; this is excellent news. I shall of course continue to pray for your well-being and safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 20, 2009

    Sounds like I'll get an email in the morning about another country being put on the company's travel ban list.

    Glad you two are ok!

    --Aramis

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yeeeeeah i have a feeling schlumberger is well-acquainted with nigerian oil delta fun...

    and thank you devorah for your continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete